Sunday, February 26, 2012

Party Time!

Remember when you were a kid, and at the end of the school year there'd always be a party to celebrate? Well, I decided to throw my self a party for the end of Curves Class and splurge on some new fabric for my final project!

Lou Lou Thi!!


For the final project, I am going to make this Retro Flowers quilt (although a bit smaller than the pattern, as I'm deathly afraid of trying to quilt a larger quilt...) and I decided to make it just for *me*. I haven't made myself anything special in quite a while, so I'm pretty excited about the idea.  I was looking for fabrics I wanted to use, and wanted to go with a fat quarter bundle all from the same line to give the quilt some unity and so I didn't have to stress over what fabrics go well together. My hubby convinced me to treat myself so I wound up splurging a tiny bit on this Lou Lou Thi fat quarter bundle from Marmalade Fabrics, with some Mod 51 that was on sale to use as the binding.  I've always thought this line was sooo pretty, and I'm really pumped to get to use it to make myself a (hopefully) pretty quilt!  My fabrics came really quickly, and they came all packaged neatly in some tissue paper with a ribbon around it, it really was like getting a present in the mail! I have a few other Curves projects I need to do before I start this one to make sure I'm ready for it, but hopefully in two or three weeks I can start.  So seeing as this is my first actual quilt, I have no idea about sizing...I've decided I'm going to make it 3 blocks wide by 3 blocks long and then have a border around it, and also I think there is sashing between the blocks. I am guessing that it will wind up being around 48" square...think that's a good lap size quilt??

I also am celebrating this weekend that I *finally* finished the second Sophia Carry All and got it delivered to it's recipient today.  It's not really my style, but it turned out nicely and my husband's Gramma seemed to really like it, so a success in my book!

Second Sophia Carry All

Second Sophia Carry All Interior

I am so relieved to get this thing out of my life...I was tempted to not even keep the pattern, but of course I can't get rid of anything, so it got filed away neatly in the very off chance I ever decide to torture myself by making another one of these...I will say that this one was easier than the first though. I trimmed out some of the fleece from the seem allowances which made it less bulky once I got some layers together, so it wasn't *as* bad this time around. Oh well, I still love me some Amy Bulter...

Well I'm off to dream about my future pretty pretty quilt (seriously...is that weird?) Any exciting finishes or plans for you all this weekend?

5 comments:

  1. You should make it 3x4 as long as you're making it so that it's around 60" long. That's a lot better for a lap size, trust me. Then if you ever want to lay down, or share it with someone, or lay it across the end of your bed or something it'll be a better size. Or if you don't want to have to make that many flowers then you could add a large solid border so you get the bigger size with less work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, my bundle only had 10 fat quarters though so I will not have enough to make it 3x4 :( I think I might add a few inches to the sashing and border, and make it closer to 56" square, perhaps that will be a bit better. Otherwise, I might considering purchasing a couple more fats by themselves and just repeat a couple of the patterns.

      Delete
  2. What great fabric choices. That quilt pattern will be my final project too, so I'm hoping my stash is up to it.

    Don't you just love how Tammy packages her fabrics? It IS like a gift when it comes.

    I agree with Sew Festive about size. A square quilt is "unhandy" as a lap quilt. Once you get going, a couple more blocks won't be difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy seems super nice, this is the second time I've ordered from her. The first was such a pleasant experience I decided to return :)
      Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

      Delete